- Product Details
- Spare Parts
SkyBox 21 Carbonite
- Sleek aerodynamic Carbonite textured lid
- No assembly required
- Tool-free installation/removal from vehicle
- Universal mounting hardware fits all Yakima StreamLine™ crossbars and factory or aerodynamic crossbars
- Designed with internal lid stiffeners for durability and easy open and close
- SuperLatch™ security ensures your lid is secure to its base, and your gear is safe
- Dual-sided opening for easy access on either side of your vehicle
- Tapered design reduces hatch interference
- Available in five sizes: Lo, 12, 16, 18, and 21 cubic feet
- Hauls gear for up to 5 campers; fits snowboards and skis up to 215cm
- Made in the USA with up to 80% recycled material
- SKS Locks included
- Minimum and maximum crossbar spreads: 24” – 42”
- Yakima cannot ship the SkyBox 21 Carbonite to Alaska or Hawaii – please contact a local dealer.
- WARNING for California Consumers
- Weight: 62.00 lbs.
- Dimensions: L 92.00 in x W 36.00 in x H 18.00 in
- Minimum Crossbar Spread 24.00in
- Maximum Crossbar Spread 42.00in
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
SkyBox 21 Carbonite
Add Accessories to Your Rack
Don't Worry, We Have A Spare
Works as advertised. Known for design and quality and the skybox fits the bill.
Great product, size (21), top quality, great look. Someone give me idea how to install it on MDX. I have stock roof racks, 28 inches apart. Box fits on it but I AM NOT ABLE TO OPEN TRUNK!! Even if box is slider all the way forward. Any ideas?
I love my yakima storage for highlander! It's such a relief when traveling with kids and pets! I do need to know- where can I get replacement keys? Mine were lost in a move and now I'm locked out of it.
Yakima rules. I'm on year 5 now and leave it on my Acura MDX year-round in Brooklyn, NY. Yeah, after several years it'll fade a bit, and as with any box I wish it would open a bit wider to load, but it holds a ton and I have had ZERO water issues from either driving or inclement weather. The hinges and locks have been solid as a rock, too. Camping; skiing; beach; long road trips; you name it. It's an essential automotive need for our family.
I love this box. And I hate it. It can hold 3 fully packed adult packs and still have room for dog packs. The opening is so tight that it is hard to impossible to get all the packs into the opening though there is room to close comefortably if you can magically make it in. Other major issue- webiste shows that the box is compatible with my 2016 4Runner but when installed it hita the rear spoiler even in an improper configuration, as far forward as the box allows. Measure your vehicle closely with Yakima bars and verify fit before you trust the "compatible" marking.
I had the bed and back seat of my truck maxed out with stuff and then I began filling the Skybox 21. It's amazing the amount of stuff that can go in there including a standard size charcoal grill! Not a shimmy, shake or whistle on speeds up to 75mph. It made my trip possible, I love it!
Four years down the road now with a Skybox 21. I move it from car to car and now I'm buying a second one. No issues ever, fist rate quality and we swear the 2003 Subaru Legacy GT gets better fuel economy with it installed! We like to take our dogs everywhere and when we do we put all of the camping gear in the Skybox and have plenty of room inside the car. Yes, this does fit our car perfectly with a 1/4 inch of room clearance to the rear hatch when it is opened. It is like they designed the box for this specific car!
I just purchased the Skybox 21 last night so my review is based on comparing this to the THULE on the show floor and then mounting on my car. The Yakima design stability is apparent the moment you open the two cargo boxes side by side. I originally went to the store to buy the THULE witch was on sale, and I immediately switched to the YAKIMA after comparing the quality. The mounting system was a little tricky but was done within 15 minutes after installing on my Chevy Tahoe. The handles and locks are firm and quality built. The ride noise was very minimal and had to look through my sunroof to notice it. I'm looking forward to loading it up and heading to Mt Hood this weekend!
I've owned two Thule cargo boxes in the past. The quality of the Yakima Skybox is exemplary. I have a 21 cu. ft. on my 2017 Subaru Outback, and couldn't be happier.
I have 4 dogs that go on trips with me all the time, this has made it much easier for them to spread around inside my 4runner. I have taken tools, groceries, luggage, etc and never any issues. If I had to mention one problem is the clearance on my garage door, unfortunately it doesn't clear it. But its still a great product.